It has been a long while since the update of my portfolio. My last update was in February 2023 when I reflect about my life and the recent passing of my mum – Portfolio Update: Feb 2023 and Reflection at half-life (hopefully) mark – 40 Years old. I guess it is a good time to do another update.
If we count until end August, below is (which I have shared in Twitter or X earlier) is currently what I have been receiving from Jan to Aug 2023.
It is still a long way to go till my target of $5,000 monthly. I am suffering from the so called “Cash Rot” syndrome where my cash and cash equivalents is still about 50% of my portfolio. As share in my update of my SSB post earlier,
This is the first time in history where there is an unprecedented increase in interest rates by FED within a short span of few months. There will be time lag effect for the hike in rate to affect the market – very likely the coming few months till early Q1 2024. We shall see.
I am hoping for the chance to deploy my cash. But luckily at least now my rotting cash is earning 3-5% every month (SSB, FSM, Treasury Bill, CIMB Fastsaver Promo, Esaver Promo, UOB One, OCBC 360 etc), as compared to the past year period of low interest rate. That period is really the cash rotting period where the interest in bank is so low!
The Change in my Investing Philosophy
I am old already, I want stability and safety in my portfolio. Always manage risk first and make sure I can sleep well.
I didn’t appreciate this when I was younger – I still remembered that I have followed the great broker to buy Healthway last time when I first started investing a decade ago and lost at least 5 digits! I also buy penny stocks, chart here chart there to trade etc.
Nowadays, I simply go for dividend investing in strong companies, index investing in world index and a very small amount in Crypto (because I believe in the potential of Crypto). This is to ensure that I sleep well and use the time in market to my benefit. Ultimately as Warren Buffett has said it
“The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”
Be patient my friend.
Of course even if I could turn back the time and tell my young self (or the young people around nowadays) that slow and steady is the way, young people will not believe me and they will laugh at the oldie and say that we are scared of risks, lousy, stupid etc. They are young and believe that they can take risk and grow! Well that’s true too, but better not risk too much till they lose all their strong starting point savings!
I am moving house finally in next year 2024 and will become debt free. After I sell my current flat, the proceeds should be able to cover the full cost of my new flat!
My BTO should be ready in next year Q1 or Q2 2024. Guess this new BTO place?
To many, I am a low SES family. I have no car, live in poor shoebox 4 room HDB flat currently. My main transport BMW – Bus/Bicycle, MRT and Walk! I have no high flying career and is a just a normal person on street.
But, I choose to love my life daily, grow my wealth, treasure the real important thing is life (family, health, time etc). I don’t want to regret my life on death bed and just blindly pursue wealth.
Of course, it is undeniable that (money) is also an important part of to live a life that one want. Striking a balance is not easy and I am still learning.
Hence I write this blog to pen down my thoughts for myself/family as well as sharing my experiences with others. Hope this blog has inspired or help you in one way or another. It is not easy to find time to continuously to write blog amidst so many things in life, but I must continue!
Webull New Clients – Get free money!
- Simply sign up here using my referral and get good money!
Trust Bank New Clients → Free SGD$35 FairPrice Vouchers
- Sign up using referral code KNDBPEPT (Free $10 FairPrice E-Voucher). Key in this code after you download the Trust Bank App from Trust Bank Website
- Receive a S$25 FairPrice E-Voucher from your first card spend as a credit card customer or when you make your first S$500 deposit for Savings account
- Many other attractive vouchers in the app – refresh every month
- No minimum balance account and can earn up to 2.5% for the first 125k
- No foreign transaction fee, great exchange rates when overseas. See my review via Trust Card – Excellent Card for overseas usage.
Rukuten Insights Survey – Free money with little work!
Sign up via Rakuten Insight Surveys!
This is a survey website that pays you to complete surveys. You can earn money by completing surveys on your phone or computer, and there are plenty of them available! I started this survey side gig few months ago around Nov 2023. There are a couple of surveys every few days after you have created your profile.
With a little effort, you can start earning money simply by sharing your opinions. Read my experience via Side Hustle Review – update on how much I have earned after 7 months – Rakuten Insight Surveys
FSMone – Cheap Comms and can transfer your shares to Personal/Joint CDP for Free
I am using FSMOne.com to invest in funds & ETFs (including money market funds). FSM is good due to the low comms and the free transfer from FSMOne to CDP (typically takes less than a week to transfer). If you do not have an account, you can sign up here. Please use my FSMOne referral code: P0413007.
- You can read my experience of how I buy cheaply using FSMOne and then transfer my shares to Joint CDP within few days via $0 Free of Charge Transfer of SGX Shares from FSM to CDP and updates! – Done in less than 3 days!
- I am also using FSMOne as part of my Estate Planning Plan. You can read about this via Simplified Guide to the Key Gist of Grant of Probate and Estate Planning
Eskimo – Best Option for Roaming!
For now, you can get 500MB for free just by signing up with my referral link, no purchase required (I get 500MB only too, but only if you buy a paid plan). Referral code: CHING104915
You can read my review here.
- Battle of Enough VS Spending for Financial Bloggers
- Ultimate Formula for FIRE (Financial Independent, Retire Early)
- Demise of REITs and do you still believe in REITs?
- Dividend Investing is Dangerous
- SSB Bond Ladders
- Simplified Guide to the Key Gist of Grant of Probate and Estate Planning
- Cheapest and best way to trade Singapore Stocks with CDP
- Mastering Dividend Investing: 5 Evergreen Investment Principles
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with IAPD: A High-Yield ETF Providing 7% Annual Yield and Quarterly Payouts
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with SDIV: A High-Yield ETF Providing 11% Annual Yield and Monthly Payouts
- If I am a dividend investor, this is what I would do….
- 7 Things to consider before buy a dividend stock
- 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market
- 5 Best Counters for Passive Dividend Investing
- The Three MOST Important Traits of an Investor
- What is the best investment strategy in the world?
- Ultimate Strategy of buying REITS: XXX instead of X000?
- Ultimate Free 2 Days Reit MasterClass: Exclusive at Careyourpresent.com
Money just buy you the chance of freedom but can’t buy back time. In life, there is no reset button. Time is limited but money is not.
When you are young and working, you exchange time for money. When you are old, you can have lots of money but you can’t buy time back, especially the things that you have missed (your strong health, time with young child) while busying striking out in career.
Your kids grew up and they no longer need you to accompany them. They no longer want to sit on your lap to share/do things with you…all these time you spent in your 9 to 6 or even longer cubicles…can the money that you have earned by you back these?
We always thought we have more time with our old parents, but we are wrong. Time with them is ticking away every day. One day it will suddenly be gone. There is no regret medicine, no reset in time. Gone is gone and cannot come back. No matter you are billionaires or millionaires, you cannot reset this.
We always thought that we have more time with our spouse every day, but we are wrong. One day they will be gone too. When you read this, please go tell your spouse that you love him/her and he or she is the best thing that you ever had in your life.
Love your life daily. You have one less day with your spouse, parents, children and yourself. Time is ticking away.
Focusing Careyourpresent & living a fulfilling life by supercharging your mind & investment/online income. Careyourpresent Series focus on things that one MUST know in their Life.
- Embracing the Transience: Life Is Short
- Are you one of them?
- Three Pictures to change your Life and Mind
- Live in Present is not easy
- The Best Advice to Parents and Child
- What if Later never come?
- What will you bring with you on your last day on Earth?
- Time is the ultimate currency, not money
- Our Life only have 5 short Days – we should live the best for every day
- Truly understand Living in the Moment now
- 11 Important Unexpected Life and Money lessons to learn from Your Children
- The days are long but the years are short
- Ditch your mobile phone to build real life
- Careyourpresent: Time is the most important
- Careyourpresent: What is your purpose of life?
- Careyourpresent : Greatest Regrets in life
- Careyourpresent : You might not believe it. It’s little unexpected things that make up a real life
- Careyourpresent: Something only happen once in life, if you missed it, it’s gone forever…
- Careyourpresent : Why is Gold useful?
- Careyourpresent: Frozen. Let it go!
More articles can be found here.
For those who are interested in regular updates of my articles, please join the others to sign up for my free newsletter to has my newest blogposts sent to your mailbox for free!
For real time exclusive updates on market news/life (especially Crypto markets where the news move fast, important news will be shared directly via tweets or telegrams), do also join the platforms below and engage with other like-minded people!
- Telegram Group (Chat with me and other like minded people!)
- Telegram Channel (Get the latest updates on the markets/life!)
- RSS Feed
You may also contact me via [email protected].