Singapore Saving Bonds
Many people love the stability of income, monthly cashflow, interests etc, worrying about the volatility of equities etc. Singapore Saving Bond is one of the best options that many people like to opt into. This month rate is out! The interest is no longer pretty but is still attractive. Why do I say so?
Let’s look at this month bond’s rate.
The rate for first year is 2.76% with 10-year rate at 3.02%. The average 10 years rate is 2.82%. Psychologically, below like to buy SSB with rate above 3%. However, this month and the previous month the rate starts to drop below 3%, hence people think that this is not attractive not pretty anymore. But if one think carefully, 3%-2.82% = 0.18%. Is that difference really that big?
The CAP of SSB is 200k per pax. Let’s say for 200k, 200k*0.18%= 360 per year, $30 per month. It’s not a lot but its decent for some cai png money. However, realistically, during the months where the rate is above 3%, it’s not easy to get all 200k inside. Hence, you won’t be able to get all your 200k to be above 3% within a month of application as you won’t know the allocation rate.
If you refer to the April bonds, actually you can get everything you want, it’s all about hindsight. But who knows before that? When it was 3% that time, but the other options at that time give up to 4%, people rather take other options. Now it’s 2.82%, people rather take other options or this option?
We should compare with other options available. One can see that the rates are dropping across board. The fixed deposits across the banks are around 3-3.5% for those 6 to 12 months. If you buy Fixed deposit, you will earn more as compared to Singapore Saving Bonds. But who know what will happen after 6 to 12 months? Singapore Saving Bonds, let you lock 10 years rate in advance and save you the hassle to keep sourcing for better rate every 6 or 12 months.
Is this hassle worth $30 per month for 200k worth of bonds? Or would you be better to spend your time better elsewhere? It’s up to individual. For me, I have finish building up my bond ladder where I will get something every month. Likely, I won’t add anymore. You can see screenshot of my bond ladder below.
There are also other options to put your idling cash – refer to Ultimate Guide of where to place your idling funds in Singapore.
Buy or Bye?
Hence, should we buy or bye?
Let’s us recap the advantages of SSB first:
- Very safe – backed by Singapore Government
- Locked down decent rates of around 3% for 10 years.
- Easy to redeem and can redeem partial
- Liquidity needs maximum of 1 month where you can get your money back. Hence suitable as emergency fund.
- Limit of 200k should be good enough for most people.
- Can build Bond Ladder to get monthly income (which I already did)
Let’s us recap the disadvantages of SSB:
- Short term rates are lower than banks’ fixed deposits, money market funds such as WeBull Fullerton fund etc of around 3.5% and above.
- Low returns
- 1 month liquidity to redeem your funds may be too long for people who need the funds immediately.
Interesting SSB this month
Do note that if you want to apply, the deadline is 26 Jun 2023, 9pm, with allocation out on 27 Jun 2023, after 3pm. The amount offered is 600 millions.
In my humble opinion, this month should be interesting month for Singapore Saving Bonds. People think Fed may not increase rate in June and the fact that fixed deposit rate are dropping all across the banks which make fixed income hunter/savers worry if the rates will drop further. Some might want to get the chance to lock their money in care rate drop further in a 10-year flexible bonds where they can withdraw the money within 1 month notice. Hence, there may be some interest this month, but I don’t think will be overwhelming.
As for me, I have already created by Singapore Saving Bonds ladder as my emergency fund. I won’t add further. You can try creating bond ladders too. Getting few hundreds every month risk free is great! Instead, I have also been shopping for equities for the past few weeks. See below:
Good articles that you should read!
People are drawn to dividend investing.
Why? Firstly, dividends provide a regular stream of income, allowing investors to receive a portion of the company’s profits on a periodic basis. This can be particularly attractive for individuals seeking consistent cash flow or looking to supplement their existing income. Additionally, dividend investing is often viewed as a more stable and predictable investment strategy compared to relying solely on capital appreciation.
I always write and share articles, especially on dividends which many people love them. Do read them!
- Simplified Guide to the Key Gist of Grant of Probate and Estate Planning
- Cheapest and best way to trade Singapore Stocks with CDP
- Mastering Dividend Investing: 5 Evergreen Investment Principles
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with IAPD: A High-Yield ETF Providing 7% Annual Yield and Quarterly Payouts
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with SDIV: A High-Yield ETF Providing 11% Annual Yield and Monthly Payouts
- If I am a dividend investor, this is what I would do….
- 7 Things to consider before buy a dividend stock
- 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market
- 5 Best Counters for Passive Dividend Investing
- The Three MOST Important Traits of an Investor
- What is the best investment strategy in the world?
- Ultimate Strategy of buying REITS: XXX instead of X000?
- Ultimate Free 2 Days Reit MasterClass: Exclusive at Careyourpresent.com only!
Alternatively, you can go the right side of my page, there is a search bar where you can simply search “dividend” to see all my articles related to dividends!
Of course, you can search for other things that would interest you such as “Careyourpresent”, “Reits”, “Side Hustles”, “Fixed Incomes”, “Savings” etc.
Money just buy you the chance of freedom.
When you are young and working, you exchange time for money. When you are old, you can have lots of money but you can’t buy time back, especially the things that you have missed while busying striking out in career. Of course, if you love your career, and consciously know that you are missing out the first time your child walk or talk, that’s ok, but if you are the other spectrum, please do something about it.
Your kids grew up and they no longer need you to accompany them. They no longer want to sit on your lap to share/do things with you…all these time you spent in your 9 to 6 or even longer cubicles…can the money that you have earned by you back these?
We always thought we have more time with our old parents, but we are wrong. Time with them is ticking away every day. One day it will suddenly be gone. There is no regret medicine, no reset in time. Gone is gone and cannot come back. No matter you are billionaires or millionaires, you cannot reset this.
We always thought that we have more time with our spouse every day, but we are wrong. One day they will be gone too. When you read this, please go tell your spouse that you love him/her and he or she is the best thing that you ever had in your life.
I have picked out some of the more life reflecting articles of the CAREYOURPRESENT series. Do read them:
- The Best Advice to Parents and Child
- What if Later never come?
- What will you bring with you on your last day on Earth?
- Time is the ultimate currency, not money
- Our Life only have 5 short Days – we should live the best for every day
- Truly understand Living in the Moment now
- 11 Important Unexpected Life and Money lessons to learn from Your Children
- The days are long but the years are short
- Ditch your mobile phone to build real life
- Careyourpresent: Time is the most important
- Careyourpresent: What is your purpose of life?
- Careyourpresent : Greatest Regrets in life
- Careyourpresent : You might not believe it. It’s little unexpected things that make up a real life
- Careyourpresent: Something only happen once in life, if you missed it, it’s gone forever…
- Careyourpresent : Why is Gold useful?
- Careyourpresent: Frozen. Let it go!
Love your life daily.
You have one less day with your spouse, parents, children and yourself.
Time is ticking away.
For each passing day,
Enjoy and Treasure your Life!
For those who are interested in regular updates of my articles, please join the others to sign up for my free newsletter to has my newest blogposts sent to your mailbox for free!
For real time exclusive updates on market news/life (especially Crypto markets where the news move fast, important news will be shared directly via tweets or telegrams), do also join the platforms below and engage with other like-minded people!
- Telegram Group (Chat with me and other like minded people!)
- Telegram Channel (Get the latest updates on the markets/life!)
- RSS Feed
You may also contact me via [email protected].
If you’re looking referral codes, do check out my referral and ebook page. Give it a try and who knows? You might end up loving these platforms! To be absolutely fair to all the readers, I am definitely using all these companies and they are useful to me! Likely will be useful to you too!
At the same referral and ebook page, you can also download my free ebooks and other free resources.
For quick references to these resources, you can see below.
- Ebooks and other useful resources on enhancing productivity (Investment, Excel, Notion etc). Currently most of it are free at this moment (subject to change).
- WeBull: A powerful brokerage with nice free welcome gift. You can refer to my guide here on how to signup! 4 Simple step only! Click here to register a new account!
- MoneyOwl: You can use this 6SHU-93MC to get free grab vouchers and highly safe liquid cash fund account.
- Trust Bank – You will enjoy free FairPrice E-Voucher referral if you sign up via my referral code KNDBPEPT. Simply download the Trust Bank SG App on the App Store or Google Play Store. Tap on “Use referral code” immediately after you start the app and key in: KNDBPEPT
- FSMOne: P0413007. Good account to keep liquid cash in autosweep and to purchase investment at low fee.
- Hostinger: You can use this link for hosting your new website. 20% off hosting!
- Crypto.com: Use my referral link https://crypto.com/app/h92xdfarkq to sign up for Crypto.com and we both get $25 USD 🙂