This term is one of the key terms that many people like and hoped to achieve. It simply means having income generated from non-active methods such as your 9 to 5 job. In my last article (How to earn passive income using options), I have covered the basic of using cash secured puts or covered calls as option strategies to generate “passive income”. Do take note of the inverted commas, I would like to reiterate that this is not as passive as one think and the risk level is slightly higher.
For those who still can’t understand options, one of the popular is to buy this counter QYLD.
What is QYLD?
QYLD is Global X NASDAQ 100 Covered Call ETF.
The Global X Nasdaq 100 Covered Call ETF (QYLD) follows a “covered call” or “buy-write” strategy, in which the Fund buys the stocks in the Nasdaq 100 Index and “writes” or “sells” corresponding call options on the same index (see QYLD).
In short, this counter will do the job for you by using covered calls to get “passive option” income for you. One just need to buy this counter and collect “monthly passive option income”.
What is Covered Call?
Covered calls are an option strategy that can be used to create a stream of income from the stock you already own, as well as potentially increase your overall profit.
The idea behind this strategy is simple: find stocks that are overvalued and sell call options against them. This allows us to earn premiums from selling call contracts while still retaining full ownership of the shares we hold.
Income from Covered Call
The covered call is based on buying an underlying stock and selling a call option against it at the same time. In other words, if you own 100 shares of Company X and sell one call contract at $10 (at-the-money), then if Company X’s share price rises above $10 per share before expiration date, then whoever owns this particular call option will exercise their right to purchase your 100 shares from you for $10 each–plus any dividends paid out by Company X between now and when their options expire (if any).
Why Covered Call?
Covered calls are an effective way to generate income and potentially increase your overall profit. They can be used as a strategy to:
- Earn a premium on the stock you already own.
- Take advantage of the market’s volatility to increase your profits at the same time that it may depress other investments in your portfolio.
- Protect against losses if the market declines, while still generating income from covered call trades.
While selling covered calls isn’t something I recommend for novice investors or those with limited risk appetite, it can be an effective strategy for seasoned traders looking for a steady stream of income without having to deal with any sort of margin requirements (which most brokers require).
For most other people, QYLD might seems to be a good solution since this is a way to let the professional fund manager to do this strategy for them.
There are 3 main reasons stated in the Global X website itself.
- High income from the covered call option
- Monthly Distributions as option income
- Save time and effort
Let’s look at some of the key characteristics of this fund
- Inception Date: 12/11/13
- Total Expense Ratio: 0.60%
- Net Asset: 6.81 Billions
- Number of Holdings: 102
- Distribution Yield: 13.03%
- Distribution Frequency: Monthly
- Top holdings: Look at the screenshot below, they are all great companies that many love to owned!
Wow, one look at the above, 13% yield with monthly distribution! This is the dream of many “passive income” investor! Where else can you get such good returns from one single counter alone? It’s a must buy without regrets!
Hold on a second… let’s dug further.
If we look further into the overall returns over the years (see photo below), the annualized return since inception is 5.64% p.a. Not too shabby! But how come it is lesser than the 13% yield mentioned above?
Let’s look at the share price. The share price is actually declining since inception. What does this mean?
Hence it simply means that after discounting the capital loss + dividend return, the actual return is only 5.64% p.a since inception. Hence you don’t really get 13% “passive monthly” income after all but still not that bad after all since there is a 5.64%?
Let’s dig further
I shared some key passive great dividend counters via my past article 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market. Do read again this article if you missed this post earlier. These counters are great for investors (especially for Singapore Investors that worry about withholding tax. London LSE ETF is only 15% tax).
Let’s go back to QYLD and compare the return of this counter with the famous world index fund – Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT). This is one of the famous US ETF by vanguard that track the performance of the FTSE Global All Cap Index, which covers both well-established and still-developing markets. This is equivalent to the VWRD ETF that I have shared in the article 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market.
If we look at the return of Vanguard Total World Stock ETF (VT), it gives 6.63% p.a. return since inception date of 6 Jun 2008 but give 8.52% p.a. 10 years return from today which mean (Feb 2012). 5 years return is 5.72% p.a.
If we compared to QYLD above, you get 5.62% p.a. since inception date of Nov 2013 and 3% p.a. return for 5 years return.
Given the figures above, judge for yourself if it is worth it to get QYLD for “monthly passive income from covered calls” or simply just buy world index fund like VT?
Alternatively, you can also compare QYLD with these 5 other shares that I have shared before to draw your own conclusion (5 Best Counters for Passive Dividend Investing).
Good articles that you should read!
People are drawn to dividend investing.
Why? Firstly, dividends provide a regular stream of income, allowing investors to receive a portion of the company’s profits on a periodic basis. This can be particularly attractive for individuals seeking consistent cash flow or looking to supplement their existing income. Additionally, dividend investing is often viewed as a more stable and predictable investment strategy compared to relying solely on capital appreciation.
I always write and share articles, especially on dividends which many people love them. Do read them!
- Simplified Guide to the Key Gist of Grant of Probate and Estate Planning
- Cheapest and best way to trade Singapore Stocks with CDP
- Mastering Dividend Investing: 5 Evergreen Investment Principles
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with IAPD: A High-Yield ETF Providing 7% Annual Yield and Quarterly Payouts
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with SDIV: A High-Yield ETF Providing 11% Annual Yield and Monthly Payouts
- If I am a dividend investor, this is what I would do….
- 7 Things to consider before buy a dividend stock
- 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market
- 5 Best Counters for Passive Dividend Investing
- The Three MOST Important Traits of an Investor
- What is the best investment strategy in the world?
- Ultimate Strategy of buying REITS: XXX instead of X000?
- Ultimate Free 2 Days Reit MasterClass: Exclusive at Careyourpresent.com only!
Alternatively, you can go the right side of my page, there is a search bar where you can simply search “dividend” to see all my articles related to dividends!
Of course, you can search for other things that would interest you such as “Careyourpresent”, “Reits”, “Side Hustles”, “Fixed Incomes”, “Savings” etc.
Money just buy you the chance of freedom.
When you are young and working, you exchange time for money. When you are old, you can have lots of money but you can’t buy time back, especially the things that you have missed while busying striking out in career. Of course, if you love your career, and consciously know that you are missing out the first time your child walk or talk, that’s ok, but if you are the other spectrum, please do something about it.
Your kids grew up and they no longer need you to accompany them. They no longer want to sit on your lap to share/do things with you…all these time you spent in your 9 to 6 or even longer cubicles…can the money that you have earned by you back these?
We always thought we have more time with our old parents, but we are wrong. Time with them is ticking away every day. One day it will suddenly be gone. There is no regret medicine, no reset in time. Gone is gone and cannot come back. No matter you are billionaires or millionaires, you cannot reset this.
We always thought that we have more time with our spouse every day, but we are wrong. One day they will be gone too. When you read this, please go tell your spouse that you love him/her and he or she is the best thing that you ever had in your life.
I have picked out some of the more life reflecting articles of the CAREYOURPRESENT series. Do read them:
- The Best Advice to Parents and Child
- What if Later never come?
- What will you bring with you on your last day on Earth?
- Time is the ultimate currency, not money
- Our Life only have 5 short Days – we should live the best for every day
- Truly understand Living in the Moment now
- 11 Important Unexpected Life and Money lessons to learn from Your Children
- The days are long but the years are short
- Ditch your mobile phone to build real life
- Careyourpresent: Time is the most important
- Careyourpresent: What is your purpose of life?
- Careyourpresent : Greatest Regrets in life
- Careyourpresent : You might not believe it. It’s little unexpected things that make up a real life
- Careyourpresent: Something only happen once in life, if you missed it, it’s gone forever…
- Careyourpresent : Why is Gold useful?
- Careyourpresent: Frozen. Let it go!
Love your life daily.
You have one less day with your spouse, parents, children and yourself.
Time is ticking away.
For each passing day,
Enjoy and Treasure your Life!
For those who are interested in regular updates of my articles, please join the others to sign up for my free newsletter to has my newest blogposts sent to your mailbox for free!
For real time exclusive updates on market news/life (especially Crypto markets where the news move fast, important news will be shared directly via tweets or telegrams), do also join the platforms below and engage with other like-minded people!
- Telegram Group (Chat with me and other like minded people!)
- Telegram Channel (Get the latest updates on the markets/life!)
- RSS Feed
You may also contact me via [email protected].
If you’re looking referral codes, do check out my referral and ebook page. Give it a try and who knows? You might end up loving these platforms! To be absolutely fair to all the readers, I am definitely using all these companies and they are useful to me! Likely will be useful to you too!
At the same referral and ebook page, you can also download my free ebooks and other free resources.
For quick references to these resources, you can see below.
- Ebooks and other useful resources on enhancing productivity (Investment, Excel, Notion etc). Currently most of it are free at this moment (subject to change).
- WeBull: A powerful brokerage with nice free welcome gift. You can refer to my guide here on how to signup! 4 Simple step only! Click here to register a new account!
- MoneyOwl: You can use this 6SHU-93MC to get free grab vouchers and highly safe liquid cash fund account.
- Trust Bank – You will enjoy free FairPrice E-Voucher referral if you sign up via my referral code KNDBPEPT. Simply download the Trust Bank SG App on the App Store or Google Play Store. Tap on “Use referral code” immediately after you start the app and key in: KNDBPEPT
- FSMOne: P0413007. Good account to keep liquid cash in autosweep and to purchase investment at low fee.
- Hostinger: You can use this link for hosting your new website. 20% off hosting!
- Crypto.com: Use my referral link https://crypto.com/app/h92xdfarkq to sign up for Crypto.com and we both get $25 USD 🙂