Does account size matter? Many people always tell you that in order to measure your returns or even compare your returns with other people, use percentage instead of the absolute amount as it is fairer and easier to compare. However is this really the truth?
Very often, we would say we earn a return of capital of example 6% after this trade of xxx days.
This 6% seems simple but it is not exactly simple.
6% of 10k = 600
6% of 100k = 6000
6% of 1 mil = 60000
6% of 10 mil = 600000 = 600k
……and so on.
DO you get the story?
Two different investors may say that they have 6% gain, but their absolute gain is different.
Investor A may have 100k in capital and earn 6000 in that trade. However, investor B may have 10 mil in capital and earn 600k gain for 6%. 600k – 6000 = 594000 which is much more than the capital of investor A. In extreme case, even if investor A manage to pick multibaggers and earn 100% in trade, it is only 100k as compared to 600k.
In addition, don’t forget that you can diversify or plan the allocation of money easier if you have huge capital. Assuming that you only plan to have no more 10% of your entire portfolio in any stock and each purchase is example 10k.
With huge capital (10 mil), you can keep buying at ALL supports. If this support breaks, you can buy at next support and the amount of money you allocated to this stock still never exceed the planned 10% of your portfolio. Once the market starts to recover, you can slowly sell in batches at different resistance and huat. However, if you have limited capital (100k), you can only buy at one support. If this support break, you cannot add more as it may exceed 10% of your portfolio and need to wait very long to repent and earn profit.
That’s why you see some bloggers can keep buying and keep selling at many levels of supports and resistance while some cannot. Once the price is good, they can keep buy buy. And when they price become super good like crisis level, they can WHACK! BUT can normal retail investor do this?
If you don’t have bullets. It’s sad to see DBS at $10 while you have no bullets to whack. It’s sad to see mlog at $0.6 while you have no bullets to whack. Crisis is there, chance to earn big wealth is there but you have no money. Sad….
Thus what is the moral of the story?
Account size does matter!!! Especially in the current market.
Work hard and increase your account size when young! Delay gratification? Don’t get marry? eat bread drink water? But there is a limit to do so, please remember to Careyourpresent in the mean time.
A gentle note:
Bear just starting (see this post). The worse has yet to come. Please learn to space out and learn how to do nothing (this post of doing nothing also apply to pace out your buys in bear market.) Of course, the best is you have unlimited bullets and can buy at every support level (provided if the lines TA, still work in bear market…)
Good articles that you should read!
People are drawn to dividend investing.
Why? Firstly, dividends provide a regular stream of income, allowing investors to receive a portion of the company’s profits on a periodic basis. This can be particularly attractive for individuals seeking consistent cash flow or looking to supplement their existing income. Additionally, dividend investing is often viewed as a more stable and predictable investment strategy compared to relying solely on capital appreciation.
I always write and share articles, especially on dividends which many people love them. Do read them!
- Simplified Guide to the Key Gist of Grant of Probate and Estate Planning
- Cheapest and best way to trade Singapore Stocks with CDP
- Mastering Dividend Investing: 5 Evergreen Investment Principles
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with IAPD: A High-Yield ETF Providing 7% Annual Yield and Quarterly Payouts
- Unlock Lucrative Returns with SDIV: A High-Yield ETF Providing 11% Annual Yield and Monthly Payouts
- If I am a dividend investor, this is what I would do….
- 7 Things to consider before buy a dividend stock
- 4 Dividend ETFs that can let you sleep well even in the scary bear market
- 5 Best Counters for Passive Dividend Investing
- The Three MOST Important Traits of an Investor
- What is the best investment strategy in the world?
- Ultimate Strategy of buying REITS: XXX instead of X000?
- Ultimate Free 2 Days Reit MasterClass: Exclusive at Careyourpresent.com only!
Alternatively, you can go the right side of my page, there is a search bar where you can simply search “dividend” to see all my articles related to dividends!
Of course, you can search for other things that would interest you such as “Careyourpresent”, “Reits”, “Side Hustles”, “Fixed Incomes”, “Savings” etc.
Money just buy you the chance of freedom.
When you are young and working, you exchange time for money. When you are old, you can have lots of money but you can’t buy time back, especially the things that you have missed while busying striking out in career. Of course, if you love your career, and consciously know that you are missing out the first time your child walk or talk, that’s ok, but if you are the other spectrum, please do something about it.
Your kids grew up and they no longer need you to accompany them. They no longer want to sit on your lap to share/do things with you…all these time you spent in your 9 to 6 or even longer cubicles…can the money that you have earned by you back these?
We always thought we have more time with our old parents, but we are wrong. Time with them is ticking away every day. One day it will suddenly be gone. There is no regret medicine, no reset in time. Gone is gone and cannot come back. No matter you are billionaires or millionaires, you cannot reset this.
We always thought that we have more time with our spouse every day, but we are wrong. One day they will be gone too. When you read this, please go tell your spouse that you love him/her and he or she is the best thing that you ever had in your life.
I have picked out some of the more life reflecting articles of the CAREYOURPRESENT series. Do read them:
- The Best Advice to Parents and Child
- What if Later never come?
- What will you bring with you on your last day on Earth?
- Time is the ultimate currency, not money
- Our Life only have 5 short Days – we should live the best for every day
- Truly understand Living in the Moment now
- 11 Important Unexpected Life and Money lessons to learn from Your Children
- The days are long but the years are short
- Ditch your mobile phone to build real life
- Careyourpresent: Time is the most important
- Careyourpresent: What is your purpose of life?
- Careyourpresent : Greatest Regrets in life
- Careyourpresent : You might not believe it. It’s little unexpected things that make up a real life
- Careyourpresent: Something only happen once in life, if you missed it, it’s gone forever…
- Careyourpresent : Why is Gold useful?
- Careyourpresent: Frozen. Let it go!
Love your life daily.
You have one less day with your spouse, parents, children and yourself.
Time is ticking away.
For each passing day,
Enjoy and Treasure your Life!
For those who are interested in regular updates of my articles, please join the others to sign up for my free newsletter to has my newest blogposts sent to your mailbox for free!
For real time exclusive updates on market news/life (especially Crypto markets where the news move fast, important news will be shared directly via tweets or telegrams), do also join the platforms below and engage with other like-minded people!
- Telegram Group (Chat with me and other like minded people!)
- Telegram Channel (Get the latest updates on the markets/life!)
- RSS Feed
You may also contact me via [email protected].
If you’re looking referral codes, do check out my referral and ebook page. Give it a try and who knows? You might end up loving these platforms! To be absolutely fair to all the readers, I am definitely using all these companies and they are useful to me! Likely will be useful to you too!
At the same referral and ebook page, you can also download my free ebooks and other free resources.
For quick references to these resources, you can see below.
- Ebooks and other useful resources on enhancing productivity (Investment, Excel, Notion etc). Currently most of it are free at this moment (subject to change).
- WeBull: A powerful brokerage with nice free welcome gift. You can refer to my guide here on how to signup! 4 Simple step only! Click here to register a new account!
- MoneyOwl: You can use this 6SHU-93MC to get free grab vouchers and highly safe liquid cash fund account.
- Trust Bank – You will enjoy free FairPrice E-Voucher referral if you sign up via my referral code KNDBPEPT. Simply download the Trust Bank SG App on the App Store or Google Play Store. Tap on “Use referral code” immediately after you start the app and key in: KNDBPEPT
- FSMOne: P0413007. Good account to keep liquid cash in autosweep and to purchase investment at low fee.
- Hostinger: You can use this link for hosting your new website. 20% off hosting!
- Crypto.com: Use my referral link https://crypto.com/app/h92xdfarkq to sign up for Crypto.com and we both get $25 USD 🙂