With immense sadness, I saw Uncle CW (Jacob)‘s passing yesterday. He was one of the pioneer finance bloggers more than 10 years ago when I was still operating on my previous blog Oppose the Trend. I still remembered the vivid time where we were chatting non-stop in BULLy the BEAR chatbox. There was a couple of us, some with blogs, some without, just chit chatting there for anything under the sky.
Uncle CW is a very special finannce blogger. He doesn’t monetize his blog and thus he always speak freely in this blogs on his views. Of course, one very distinct characteristic is he like to “poke” people on some of the things (finance, investing things) that most other bloggers keep talking about. For example, topping up of CPF, SA account etc.
Personally, although I didn’t fully agree with all his investing views, I still have learnt many things from him and is immensely grateful to him. I still remembered that he sends me a file where he created to compute xirr – on how to track his portfolio when I was a newbie, till today I am still using this file after some modification to suit my own use.
Some of the key tips that I have remembered from his blog:
- Patience to wait
- Guts to buy
- Invest in bluechips that stood the test of time like Uncle Chua
- Reits will keep asking for cash for rights issue, not an ideal tool for retiree.
- His famous chart on the various supports and resistance of STI
- Short-term trading around core for core position like Kepcorp (100 rounds, 99 rounds etc)
- The need to track portfolio using xirr
- Moving goalposts – better to invest OA as compared to top up with cash
- How-to take-out cash from CPF at December each year
At least he has enjoyed 6-7 years of retiree life and has reared 3 wonderful child with only 1 single income. Farewell Uncle, 一路好走。Deepest condolences.
Within a short period of time, I witnessed the passing of my mum, passing of Ron Sim and now CW8888.
LIfe is short, please Care Your Present and Treasure it. You never know when it will be gone suddenly.